E2RA Summer 2018 Graduates - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What is E2RA?
E2RA = Education & Excellence for Research Administrators.
E2RA is an amazing educational program in Research Administration first launched at Weill Cornell Medicine in the Spring 2016.
The E2RA course is a fantastic opportunity for professional development in Research Administration at WCM. The E2RA course covers essential aspects of research administration related to Pre-Award & Compliance and Post Award, as well an overview of Human Subjects Research at WCM.
The E2RA course supports research administrators, research managers and anyone who wants/needs to broaden and deepen their knowledge and their portfolio of skills related to grants administration, about the processes and systems we use at WCM for Pre-Award and Post Award administration and also about the best practice to follow at WCM .
- Provide a comprehensive presentation of essential responsibilities related to grants that fall under research administrators’ preview, from pre-award to post award.
- Offer a robust understanding of how administrative responsibilities should be handled at WCM and a hands-on practice of real cases situations.
- Support research administrators to acquire the knowledge and the skills they need to excel in their responsibilities.
- Contribute to increase autonomy and confidence of research administrators at work.
- Be a learning platform for excellence among research administrators, who ultimately provide a better support to their PIs.
- Be a unique opportunity for professional development for both new and seasoned research administrators who want to expand their responsibilities to an additional field of research administration.
- Reward participants' efforts to learn more about grants administration and to get new skills by providing them with the E2RA Certificate of Graduation (under certain conditions) during the E2RA Graduation Ceremony.
Basic E2RA course vs Advanced E2RA Course: What are the differences?
The E2RA course is offered in two great options:
* Basic E2RA course (~ 35h) : If you want to get a general overview grants administration from cradle to grave, + know all about research sponsors, grants application process, compliance, and post award management of awards + so much more, then the Basic E2RA course is your go-to option.
The Basic E2RA course represents a time commitment of typically 1 session of 3 hours per week.
* Advanced E2RA course (~50h): If you want to get the general overview from the E2RA Basic course + dive deep into complex budgets + know all about IACUC animal use protocol approval process + IRB human protocols approval process + calculations for Change of Funding and ADR + best practice for management of PI's WBS accounts, then the Advanced E2RA course is for you.
The Advanced E2RA course represents a time commitment of 2 sessions per week: the basic 3 hour long Basic E2RA session + a 2 hour long Advanced E2RA session. of 3 hours per week.
The E2RA Advanced Course includes all the E2RA Basic course sessions + all additional Advanced E2RA sessions.
E2RA Curriculum: what are the topics covered during the course?
The E2RA course is organized in two modules: 1/The Pre-Award & Compliance module 2/ The Post-Award module.
Participants can choose to participate to both modules (Basic or Advanced), only to the Pre-Award & Compliance module (Basic or Advanced) or only to the Post Award module (Basic or Advanced).
For informational purpose, please check the current E2RA curriculum for the E2RA FALL 2019 E2RA Fall_2019-curriculum.pdf
Why should you join the next E2RA course?
- Because you want to gain a good understanding of the bigger picture of research administration at WCM
- Because you want to enrich your knowledge about grants administration
- Because you want to develop new skills to perform your work responsibilities with efficiency and accountability
- Because you want to get new tools to better anticipate the next steps of administrative process associated to grants and awards
- Because ultimately you want to support your PIs being successful in their research
- Because you want to learn things you don't know !
Requirements to participate in the E2RA course:
- It is best for an individual to already have a little bit of exposure to grants applications/ grants administration before starting the E2RA course.
- It is best for an individual to have responsibilities associated with grants while taking the E2RA course or to be about to have these responsibilities to increase her/his engagement with the material covered during the E2RA course.
- It is best for an individual to have some basic math skills and excel skills before starting the E2RA course.
- It is best for an individual to be willing to learn new concepts and new skills at a not-too slow pace. The E2RA course requires an individual to be engaged into learning, into practicing activities, and into using a large set of information to solve problems and exercises.
- The E2RA course requires an individual to be attentive during the sessions and to make every effort to remember the material covered from one session to the other.
- Some E2RA sessions will require the participants to prepare some homework from one session to the next.
What can you expect from the E2RA course?
- E2RA participants can expect to gain new knowledge and new skills relevant to grants administration in general and also specifics to the processes at WCM.
- E2RA participants can expect to get a bigger picture of a process relevant to grants administration and to be better at anticipating the role they play/will play in that process.
- E2RA participants can expect to get the knowledge and skills that will help them to know what to do when they have a specific administration task to perform and where to find easily the information they need or the people they need for additional help.
- E2RA participants can expect to be challenged with calculations relevant to grants budgets, and grants post award management such as calculations associated to effort and ADR or re-budgeting situations.
- E2RA participants can expect to be exposed to a lot of relevant material and accumulate almost 2 binders of E2RA material during the whole E2RA course, including Pre-Award & Compliance module and the Post-Award module
- E2RA participants can expect to become more comfortable with understanding and performing tasks relevant to grants administration from pre-award to post-award management.
- E2RA participants can expect to have the full support from the E2RA education manager to grow. The E2RA education manager is here to support participants’ growth and to answer all of their questions and requests.
The E2RA course may not be for you if
- You are not really interested in learning grants administration.
- You don't really want to learn things that are not relevant yet to what they exactly do today in their current job.
- You don't really want to engage with challenging material.
- You don’t like mathematics at all ( and specially if you want to do the Post award management module)
E2RA Graduation Certificate:
E2RA participants will obtain the E2RA Graduation Certificate during the Final E2RA ceremony only if they attended all E2RA sessions and validated both the Pre-Award & Compliance evaluation and a Post-Award evaluation with a minimum garde of of 75/100.
When is the next E2RA course?
The next E2RA course starts in the Fall 2019, but it is already full.
I am very sorry I can have you take the E2RA course this Fall. But if you want to save your spot for the E2RA WINTER 2020, please email Helene Brazier-Mitouart at firstname.lastname@example.org today!
>> Should you have any questions/concerns, don't hesitate and email the ETRA Education Manager, Helene Brazier-Mitouart at email@example.com